How and Why I Got Involved in Our Community
Our family came to Newmarket in 1980 when I was appointed manager by Royal Bank for its branch on Main Street. My wife Roxanne and I have lived in Newmarket for more than three decades, raising our two daughters and five grandchildren in our community.
After a 30-year career in banking, I decided to get involved to contribute to the environment where my beloved grandchildren will grow up. Together, our family has enjoyed volunteering our time with the dozens of local groups committed to improving the lives of people in the community.
I am proud to have served in leadership roles as the founding Director of Belinda’s Place Foundation Women’s Shelter, Board Member at Trinity Glen affordable housing complex and Council Liaison of the Newmarket Seniors Meeting Place. Using my experience from my professional career, I also became the founding Director and past President of the Newmarket Chamber of Commerce, an organization that encourages local businesses to collaborate, and contributes to the economic and social well being of the community.
The importance of helping your neighbour has always stayed with me. I saw the value of a caring community at work many times over in my youth: When a neighbour was ill and unable to harvest a crop, neighbours got a one-week job done in a day. When a neighbour suffered an accident or injury, it was the same. We all showed up to help.
Town of Newmarket – Mayor (2006-Present)
- Function as Head of Council and Chief Executive Officer of the municipality in council meetings to provide leadership in community priorities
- Act as the representative of the municipality both within and outside the municipality, and promote the municipality locally, nationally and internationally
Regional Municipality of York – Regional Councillor (2003-2006), Mayor of Newmarket (2006-Present)
- Represented the Town of Newmarket at the Regional Municipality of York and committees to ensure the need of residents are reflected in the Region’s overall strategy
Newmarket Tay Hydro- Director (2006-Present)
- Develop long-term strategic plan to deliver safe and reliable hydro for the community of Newmarket and Tay township
- Guide and implement sustainable growth of revenue stream for the Town of Newmarket
Southlake Regional Healthcare- Member of Board of Directors (2006-Present)
- Created policies to ensure high standard of healthcare, efficient allocation of resources, and responsible financial management
Smart Commute Central York – Director (2006-Present)
- Partnered with community organizations to develop and implement commuting options for residents in Newmarket and area
Newmarket Chamber of Commerce – President (1982-1983)
- Collaborated with community businesses in issue resolutions, networking opportunities, and strategic planning in creating economic growth within the Town of Newmarket
My Priorities and Objectives:
- Create local job opportunities and economic growth
- Ensure tax dollars are well-managed for their best long-term value
- Build facilities to promote healthy & well-balanced lifestyles
- Establish partnership opportunities for Newmarket within York Region
My Beliefs and Values
- Collaboration – Leaders must work together with other leaders and residents to be effective
- Community engagement – Residents should be informed, as well as involved in the process
- Economic foundation – A thriving economy is essential in providing resources for a thriving community