With the holiday season upon us and 2017 coming to an end, it is the perfect time to reflect on another very memorable year. While the Town of Newmarket has had too many accomplishments to include here, I would like to look back at some of the highlights:
- In 2017, we continued to see major transformations in our urban corridors including the ongoing construction of the York Region annex building, advancements of the Viva rapid transit network and various urban developments that are already underway.
- We were selected, out of a number of competing municipalities, as the new home of Celestica’s Toronto Operations. It is anticipated that 500 jobs will be relocated to Newmarket as a result.
- We received a lot of love when we were recognized as being one of the most romantic cities in Canada.
- Newmarket got a little sweeter with the opening of a $70 million expansion of the Mars Canada facility, adding 30 highly skilled jobs.
- We welcomed a delegation all the way from Gumi, South Korea who travelled here to see our very own story pod in Riverwalk Commons. The news of our story pod has reached over 330 million people around the world.
- We opened the Magna Centre fitness facility and had a tremendously successful inaugural year. We are also in the process of moving Southlake’s Cardiac Rehab Program to the Magna Centre.
- We hosted and participated in many events honouring the 150th birthday of our nation, including the reveal of the Keith bridge public art installation and Newmarket’s Canada 150 mosaic – works of art that will leave a lasting legacy and inspire future generations.
As we round the corner on this term of Council, I am very proud of our progress and the collaboration between Council, staff and our many community partners. This spirit of collaboration is just one of the many things that make this an extraordinary community.
Please remember this is the time of year to spend with loved ones, enjoy the spirit of the festive season and be thankful for all that we have. I look back at another successful year with gratitude and I look forward to all of the new and exciting things that 2018 will bring.
On behalf of Newmarket Council, wishing you and your family a very happy, healthy holiday season and all the best in 2018.