The Housing Accelerator Fund (HAF), launching in summer 2023, is a $4 billion fund that will provide local governments with initiatives to increase housing supply. This funding incentivizes creative strategies to help create complete, affordable, and equitable communities.
The Fund will help cities, towns, and Indigenous governments unlock new housing supply by speeding up development and approvals, like fixing out-of-date permitting systems, introducing zoning reforms to build more density, or incentivizing development close to public transit.
On Thursday, April 20, 2023, the Region of York joined myself and the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister responsible for Housing and Diversity and Inclusion in Ottawa to discuss how we can build more affordable housing right here in York Region. Building more housing, including affordable housing, is a key part of making life more affordable and building an economy that works for all Canadians. When we work together across orders of government, we can build a better future for the middle class and people working hard to join it.
The HAF is split into two streams:
- Large/Urban for communities in a Canadian province with a population over 10,000
- Small/Rural/North/Indigenous for communities that are:
- in a territory
- is an Indigenous community
- is in a Canadian province with a population under 10,000
Approved participants for the HAF can use the provided funding for investments in:
- Housing Accelerator Fund action plans
- affordable housing
- housing-related infrastructure
- community-related infrastructure that supports housing
More information will be released about the HAF in the coming months. Visit this website to learn more about the funding and to stay updated.