January 28, 2021– Gatineau, Quebec
The Public Service Commission of Canada (PSC) has published its audit report on the representation of employment equity groups in recruitment processes in the federal public service.
This audit shows that employment equity groups did not remain proportionately represented at the same rate they applied throughout the recruitment process. Women were the only group to experience an increase in representation from the job application stage through to the appointment stage. The representation rate of the other 3 groups (Indigenous peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities) decreased at different stages of the recruitment process. The representation rate of Black candidates decreased more than the rates of other visible minority groups.
The audit also provides 3 recommendations. In particular, it recommended that deputy heads review their recruitment processes to ensure they are barrier-free.
“While progress has been achieved in making the federal public service more representative, much work remains to be done. This audit is a call to action. All Canadians applying to public service jobs should have an equal opportunity to highlight their unique talents.”
– President Patrick Borbey and Commissioners Fiona Spencer and Daniel Tucker
- The PSC reviewed the representation of employment equity groups at 5 key stages of the recruitment process: job application, automated screening, organizational screening, assessment and appointment.
- The representation rate of Indigenous candidates decreased at the assessment stage.
- The representation rate of persons with disabilities decreased at the assessment and appointment stages.
- The representation rate of visible minority groups declined at the organizational screening and assessment stages.
- Of the visible minority sub-groups examined in the audit, Black candidates experienced a greater drop in representation than members of other visible minority groups, both at the organizational screening stage and at the assessment stage.
- Audit of Employment Equity Representation in Recruitment
- Anonymized Recruitment Pilot Project – Final report
- Public Service Commission of Canada 2019-20 Annual Report
- PSC Open Government Portal
Public Service Commission of Canada